Saturday, August 13, 2011

Ideas and Chocolate


Las cosas claras y el chocolate espeso.*
Spanish proverb

I try to put my ideas into words.  I try to put my thoughts into words.  I feel like I fail every time.  I can’t ever put my exact thought into a word, at least not in any word I know.  I can never match the English words to the mess that is created in my head.  The thoughts themselves are rarely words.  Sometimes sounds or shapes or colors.  Sometimes the mix of the three.  I get words too, but the more complex the thought the less of an idea I get in words.

I suppose a lot of my thoughts are just feelings too.  Good feelings or bad feelings.  And these feelings are even harder to identify than words.  I know the difference between anger and sadness and joy.  Knowing what I’m feeling them and connecting them to the correct word is what’s difficult.

I’m working on making my ideas and thoughts clearer.  My ideas are easier to put into words.  They generally start as words.  Their consistency and brevity are often not quite as nice as I would have liked, but they tend to be clear.

When words fail and the sky falls, there is chocolate.  Chocolate is always good.  Chocolate that melts in ones mouth is best.  I can always have chocolate.  Well, almost always.  If there isn’t chocolate, I can always go to the store and get some.

*Ideas should be clear and chocolate thick.

No comments:

Post a Comment