Saturday, July 23, 2011

What is in a name?

What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet.

Romeo and Juliet: Act 2 Scene 2

What makes words so difficult sometimes?  Why can it be so hard to put a thought into these thousands of words that we call the English language?  Or even any language for that matter?  It seems like the more words we have access to, the harder it can be to put our thoughts into these words.  Perhaps our thoughts are more complicated than the language we speak?  Perhaps I can only speak for myself and ought to stop using plural pronouns.  Regardless the thought does stay the same.  Thoughts can seem to be a different language completely from any spoken language.

Regardless of if I am the only one who experiences this problem or not, I now invite you to laugh as I have created a blog, in which I plan to express this jumble of thoughts in my head, in those very English words which cannot speak the same language as the thoughts in my head.  What lovely logic is this.  I suppose if nothing else this shall be practice in mingling the two languages into the formation of a working translation dictionary.  Perhaps this blog, with a lot of practice, will make it easier.  Only time, and future posts, will tell the tale.

That leads to another issue.  What am I going to be writing about?  Truth be told, I have no idea.  Day by day, week by week, perhaps even, though hopefully not, month by month I’ll be figuring out what I’ll be writing about.  Perhaps I’ll have topics to write on, or I’ll just search for a random topic from somewhere in the depth of my conscious or subconscious.  Maybe I’ll go to oneword* and see if I can write something based on the word of the day.  That would likely result in something interesting, if nothing else due to the randomness of the words.

As ideas are drawing to a close, due more to the hour of the night than to the emptiness of the mind, I believe I shall end it here.  Though, I plan to try to get on and write something should the ideas present themselves.  Time shall tell.  Time shall tell.

*http://oneword.com

No comments:

Post a Comment